Monday, May 11, 2009

No Whammy Bar or Effects Pedals

Monday, May 11, 2009

Another in a haphazard series of non-inflammatory posts.

Gentle Reader:

I journeyed to Johnson City, NY on Sunday. The purpose of the trip was to meet a person I'd met on the blogs, William Yelverton, who was playing in a concert at an arts venue there. Bill is a progressive who is both passionate and articulate in his arguments and while he no longer operates his politics blog, I'm quite sure he's not forgotten what brought us to the present.

I knew of him first as a blogger and, then, as a musician. He is a gifted (and I'm sure much practiced!) classical guitarist. I am a person who loves music, without being able to play much of anything--when it comes to the guitar I have the musical equivalent of Black Thumbs--or even read a score, so I enjoy it without truly understanding most of it.

The pieces that were played yesterday were a combination of classical ,baroque, Latin American and one great Bluegrass inspired piece written by one of Bill's colleagues. It was all wonderful. Just the instruments and the players, no microphones, pickups or other electronic augmentation. Piano alone, guitar and piano, guitar and violin. All of the music was played in a room that held 125 or so people in a relaxed "Pops" concert setting with cafe seating, bevvies, little sammies and lots of desserts! The audience was engaged, attentive and appreciative. Fortunately I did not have my Bic lighter--and I remembered not to yell "Freebird!" when both Bill and the pianist returned for their encores!

I am currently listening to one of Bill's albums, "Harpsichord Music On Guitar". The other album that I got is "Music of South America". All the information about the music and Bill's professional creds (as well as his thoughts on his current home in TN--and its environs) can be found at: http://tnparadise.blogspot.com/; give it a look.

I think Bill is the seventh or eighth person that I've met on the blogs and, then later, in person. I have been told by numerous folks that I am courting disaster by agreeing to meet with people in this manner. That has proved to be a non-issue. I'm not saying it's impossible to get in trouble that way, quite the contrary. However, my experience has been that most folks I spend some time getting to know on the interntet (through blogs) are who they have led me to believe they are. Granted I have not been aching to meet the trolls, but only people with similar interests and views on important subjects like the arts, politics and food.

We live in a VERY large world and it helps, imo, to have folks turn us onto things that they find interesting and informative amidst the plethora of experience that is available.

So thanks to Bill, and Dave von Ebers, Claudia, Mack, Nomi, Reverend Jerry Gloryhole, Annti, Richard at "Everyone wants to read my blog" and the rest of the good folks that I've met on the blogosphere. And to those of you whose names are not in that list, or who are on the list but not yet had me "all up in your grille..", your time is coming! Oh, btw, if any of you are into "kink", just remember this--I am the REAL reason that the chicken crossed the road!

I'm putting another of my poems on here, today, 'cuz it's my blog and I can!

Enjoy.

The Lesson


From the street, I watched you.

Through the window I could see the lyricism of you, the fluent dancer;

and the hesitancy of the students, unfamiliar with the language of movement,

afraid of uttering a mistake.

I saw you standing at ease; in a languid, indolent moment.

I saw you, in a moment, transformed, as you moved into a "frame"

Silk and satin for the viewer:

Whipcord and spring steel for the dancer.

That look of effortlessness, that look that costs a thousand, thousand repetitions.

The nights of standing in front of the mirrored walls,

learning by teaching.

making that same, perfect turn; over and over.

Until it is no longer a conscious pattern,

but, rather, it becomes, like breathing, intrinsic to your being.

Giving to the students a way to find the metronome of their own heartbeat.

Getting from the giving; the wisdom of experience.

Learning by teaching.

Learning that every step you will ever take is already in your soul.

7/20/01
Posted by democommie at 5:09 AM 0 comments

2 comments:

Nancy Green said...

you write good, Democommie

democommie said...

I can't hear that often enough. Thanks, Nancy.