Saturday, November 20, 2010

When a Memoir is Suspect: International Literary Movement

I was raised by anglophiles. I was raised by bibliophiles.

There was a suspect passion for books by Enid Blyton and Agatha Christie. This is not something I brag about, but gives me hope for everyone who reads racist literature during childhood. We can outgrow the stuff.

The English have provided inspiration for a literary movement in the U.S. which I learned about thanks to facebook, but which is receiving plenty of attention in "conventional" communities, print media, et cetera.


They did this to Tony Blair's book and I think we should do the same here.



People are moving the new book by (sic) George W. Bush to the True Crime section of bookstores and other sections which are not "Memoir".



It's a very small gesture in the grand scheme of things. Is it an unkindness to bookstore workers ? Is it censorship ( as one high school friend of mine suggested )?

There are photos that people have taken of the book in its new settings. I find the photos pleasing to the eye. I am heartened by the awareness of kindred spirits all over the world.

I have no idea what Marsha Z. West or Grace Paley would think about this.

I think Harold Rogovin would have had a good laugh.

Rhett Jones could have gone back and forth. He had great sympathy for popular struggles, for civil disobedience and for creativity.

Thank you, Creative Literary Movers !

No comments: