Sunday, December 12, 2010

Wandering Around an Albuquerque Airport Terminal -- A Kindness Story by Naomi Shihab Nye

Help Others.org: Wandering Around an Albuquerque Airport Terminal -- A Kindness Story


Here is how this begins:



After learning my flight was detained 4 hours, I heard the announcement: "If anyone in the vicinity of gate 4-A understands any Arabic, please come to the gate immediately."

Well -- one pauses these days. Gate 4-A was my own gate. I went there.

An older woman in full traditional Palestinian dress,
just like my grandma wore, was crumpled to the floor, wailing loudly. "Help," said the flight service person. "Talk to her. What is her problem? we told her the flight was going to be four hours late and she did this.
"


This poignant story has traveled the internet many times. But one more can't hurt. I love every sentence. Here is the ending:



And I looked around that gate of late and weary ones and thought, "This is the world I want to live in. The shared world."

Not a single person in this gate -- once the cries of confusion stopped -- was apprehensive about any other person.

They took to the cookies. All I felt like hugging everyone else.

No comments: