Thursday, April 19, 2012

Stand with Jews. Stand with Palestinians. Stand with Justice.

Stand with Jews. Stand with Palestinians. Stand with Justice.

As a child, I believed everything I was told about Israel, and how democratic and just a place it was, the only refuge for Jews in a world seeking to eliminate us....

I believed, too, that Abraham Lincoln was concerned about freeing the Slaves, and that racism was a Southern problem.

I went to Israel twice with my mother and brother.  One time my father was included, too...

My Oma lived in Ramat Gan.  I remember my father's kind and funny cousins, and how welcoming they were.

If any of them or their children or grandchildren are alive, I would love to find them...

Grace Paley's defense of Palestinian rights was so clear, so personal, so connected to her Jewish identity --

I am so grateful to the activists, some Rabbis, some atheists, many in-between,  working for a Justice which does not present any individual as a cartoon of any sort.

I know that the work is not finished in South Africa ( is it finished anywhere?), but there has been so much progress there.  We can learn from Nelson Mandela.....