Friday, January 9, 2009

Marsha Z. West Smiles Somewhere (Black Rep News)

The last play I saw Marsha in was at The Providence Black Repertory Theatre. It was a production of "The Colored Museum" (George Wolfe) and it was one of the most amazing theatrical experiences of my life (I've been blessed with quite a few...)Only appendicitis in the family, prevented me from going to see it a second time, this time with my son...(Our reservations were for the final performance).

From Don King this week, I received some wonderful news (and few of my emails have been cheerful this week)...

Greetings!


Two months ago, I wrote to you, our members, subscribers, and friends, to describe the difficult decisions that Black Rep has had to make in light of the tumultuous economic climate; one of these decisions was to suspend our two remaining theater productions. During the last 60 days, Black Rep's Staff and Board of Directors has worked around the clock to raise money and develop creative strategies to reinstate our theater season. We have been inspired by the support of so many of you who continue to believe in our vision and encourage us through these challenging times. THANK YOU! We couldn't have done it without you!

At this time, I am thrilled to report that both theater productions have been reinstated. Some adjustments have been made---for example, Gem of the Ocean will have a shortened run---but the important news is that the show must, and will, go on! While Black Rep is excited and proud of this announcement, we are not out of the woods yet. We are still working hard to procure the necessary funding to support our theater season, other programming, and general operating expenses. To learn how you can make a contribution, please visit blackrep.org.


Black Rep is one of the reasons I love living in Providence, RI!

No comments: